I would like to take this opportunity to make you aware of a slight rise in Thefts of Catalytic Converters from vehicles in and around the county.
Catalytic converters, which are fitted to a vehicle’s exhaust system are targeted by thieves because of the precious metals they contain. Please be re-assured the Police are doing all they can to find those persons responsible for the thefts. Can i ask that you help us also in following the crime prevention advice below:
• Keep your vehicle parked in a garage if possible.
• Park close to fences, walls or a kerb with the exhaust being closest to these.
• Consider CCTV/ PIR security systems or lighting where you park your vehicle.
• If your catalytic converter is bolted on, consider having the bolts welded.
• Fit protective coverings on catalytic converters, such as the Toyota CATLOC.
• Have your catalytic converter etched or forensically marked and put stickers in the windscreen to say this has been done.
• Car parks with a Secured Car Park sign have recognised levels of security.
• Noisy gravel on your drive can help deter a would-be thief.
• For more crime prevention advice, please visit their website at www.leics.police.uk
Police urge the public to remain vigilant and report incidents of suspected catalytic converter theft. If you see this happening, please call 999 immediately.
Michelle and Courtney