Over the last few weeks we have received a couple of reports rogue traders/cold callers in Glenfield. Here are a few tips to keep safe. Please keep an eye on elderly relatives and neighbours when you seen unexpected callers in the area.
How to prevent it
There are a number of things you can do to prevent distraction burglary. Always remember “if in doubt, keep them out”:
– Use your door viewer to see who’s there
– If you open the door put the chain on first
– Always ask for ID and check it with the company before letting somebody into your home
– Use the phone number advertised in the phone book or online, as the number on their identity card
could be fake.
– For a utility company, call the customer service department. Close the door while you do
this remember that genuine callers won’t mind checks.
– If you feel at all unsure, schedule a time for the – caller to come back when a friend or relative is
there for pre-planned appointments with utility companies, a password scheme can be set up